Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart
The Campus Ministry is a vibrant component of Sacred Heart Academy that promotes our students’ spiritual development in the true sense of the Franciscan tradition. The Ministry provides numerous occasions for prayer and self-reflection throughout the year, and helps students understand and appreciate the value of giving back to their community through service to others.
Footprints Service Program
The Gospel of Jesus Christ and the example of St. Francis of Assisi call us to serve the needs of the community. Through our Footprints Service Program, students provide community service, reflect upon their experiences, and understand the ministry of service in their own lives.
All students are required to complete the following yearly requirements:
- Provide at least 20 service hours, of which no more than 5 may be served at a SHA event
- Participate in the Day of SHAring
- Attend 5 mentor sessions throughout the year, at which students may share and reflect upon their service experiences
- Seniors must also complete a senior reflection paper about their service experience
- Complete and submit a Footprints Placement Approval Form prior to beginning any service work
- Complete a Footprints Verification Form for each service placement and submit it to the campus ministers or the mentors
Online Footprints Placement Approval Form
Below you will find a link to the Online Footprints Placement Approval Form. This form can only be completed online. If you wish to print a copy of the Placement Approval Form or the Verification Form, you may do so by clicking on one of the links above.
1. Click on the link below.
2. Fill in all the information.
3. Double check the information to make sure it is correct.
4. Click the submit button and your information will be sent to Mrs. Donner.
5. Mrs. Donner will respond to you shortly via e-mail to confirm or deny approval of your placement.
Students who complete at least 50 service hours in a school year will receive the St. Clare Award for Service, and those who complete at least 100 service hours in a school year will receive the St. Francis Award for Service. In addition, students who are exceptionally active in community service may be eligible for the Burger Family Community Service Scholarship and the Carole Sue Kmidowski Memorial Service Scholarship.
The Campus Ministry will work with students to find an appropriate service placement and maintains a list of more than 150 Western New York organizations and agencies that require volunteer help. Students are also encouraged to inquire about service opportunities at their church or parish.
- Upcoming Service Events for 2013-2014
- Service Placement Opportunities for 2012-2013
- Important Footprints Dates for 2013-2014
Mass is celebrated at least once a month at SHA. Our students, faculty and staff take primary roles in the liturgies, serving as lectors, sacristans, Eucharistic Ministers, liturgical planners, and in the music ministry. Priests from area parishes are invited to celebrate the liturgy and the Sacrament of the Eucharist with us.
The SHA community also holds several prayer services throughout the year, including Advent Wreath Services, Lenten Reconciliation Services, and Stations of the Cross. Additional prayer services seek God’s blessing and guidance for special events in the SHA community.
- Mass Schedule for 2013-2014
- Prayer Service Schedule for 2013-2014
- Reconciliation Schedule for 2013-2014
Each year SHA students attend a class retreat that is planned and led by a team of upper classwomen. Retreats are designed to promote self-reflection, personal and spiritual growth, and relationship building. Freshwomen spend a day at Daemen College, sophomores and juniors experience their retreat at Harvest House, and seniors enjoy the campus of Stella Niagara. In addition to class retreats, optional retreats explore special relationships and subjects.
9th Annual Day of SHAring: April 25, 2014
The Day of SHAring is a school-wide day of community service. All students, faculty, and staff, as well as many parents, alumnae and board members serve in approximately 50 organizations and agencies throughout Western New York, collectively donating thousands of hours of volunteer service to positively impact our community.
Examples of the sites SHA has served include St. Luke’s Mission of Mercy, Stella Niagara, the Buffalo City Mission, Canine Helpers for the Handicapped, the Buffalo Zoo, the Heart and Soul Dining Room, Vive la Casa, and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Parent Interest Form Sign Up Sheet for Day of SHAring
- Important Day of SHAring Dates for 2014
- 2014 Placement Information
- Day of SHAring Permission Slip for 2014
This extracurricular club provides group service opportunities for all interested students. Members of the Service Club volunteer for many organizations and events, including Habitat for Humanity, the Western New York Down Syndrome Association Christmas Party, and the Easter Food Drive for St. Luke’s Mission of Mercy. All students are welcome to participate in any of the Service Club opportunities.
834-2101, ext. 335
Director of Campus Ministry
834-2101, ext. 312