Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart
At Sacred Heart Academy we are committed to all dimensions of our students’ development, including helping them to achieve a healthy, active, and balanced lifestyle. SHA maintains a high-quality Athletics Department with competitive sports teams and a physical education program designed to promote personal fitness. During the 2014-15 school year, two Msgr. Martin Championships were won: golf and soccer. The Msgr. Martin Ice Hockey team, of which SHA had eight members, won the Federation Championship. For sport-specific news, please click on the links below.
Barbara J. Rooney '74
834-2101, ext. 319
News and Announcements
- The Student Athletes of the Year for 2015-16 were announced on May 16 at the Sports Award and Recognition Night and given a sterling silver Shark charm bracelet. They are:
Freshwoman: Abby Halsdorfer
Sophomore: Emily Yarbrough
Junior: Claire Zwack
Senior: Cliodhna Gartland
- Kristen Mirand '16 created a 4:50 minute Youtube video for SHA Sports Award Night. Click here to view it.
- Congratulations to Coach Linda Mroz on being named Coach of the Year by the WNY Girls HS Federation Ice Hockey.
Our student athletes compete in the Monsignor Martin High School Athletic Association of the Diocese of Buffalo at the varsity, junior varsity, and freshwomen levels. SHA offers the following competitive and club athletic teams:
|Crew (Club)||Basketball||Crew (Club)|
|Field Hockey||Cheerleading||Sailing (Club)|
|Soccer||Track & Field|
- Athletics Handbook
- Athletic Permission and Medical Release Form
- Concussion Information
- Order Form for SHA Athletic Pants
- Physician’s Health Assessment Form
- Transportation Consent Form for 2015-16
SHA maintains a fitness center for physical education classes as well as the general use of all students. Equipment includes treadmills, elliptical machines, stationary bikes, an eight-station Universal weight training circuit, and weight benches for use with free weights.
In addition to the fitness center, physical education classes and many sports team practices and competitions are held in SHA’s brand new fully-equipped gymnasium. SHA also partners with several outside facilities for athletic practices and competitions including Buffalo State College Kissinger Pool (Swimming), Glen Oaks Golf Course (Golf), Shoshone Park (Softball), University at Buffalo Rotary Field ( Lacrosse), Forest Elementary School (Soccer), Clearfield Rec Center (Tennis), and Smallwood Elementary School (Field Hockey).