Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart
Sisters of St. Francis
The Order of the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity was founded in the Netherlands in 1835 by Mother Magdalen Damen, a woman inspired by the lives of St. Francis of Assisi and his close follower, St. Clare of Assisi. In 1874, four missionary Sisters arrived in the United States at the request of Jesuit priests serving the City of Buffalo, New York’s German parishioners. They established their first American motherhouse and novitiate in the Diocese of Buffalo, moving to Stella Niagara in the Town of Lewiston, New York in 1908.
The Sisters taught in Buffalo’s parish schools, including St. Ann's and St. Michael's. In the tradition of Mother Magdalen Damen who always sought to educate young women, the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity founded the Buffalo Academy of the Sacred Heart in 1877 to provide a Catholic education to the young women of Buffalo.
Today, Sacred Heart Academy continues to provide a superior academic education that is grounded in the Sister’s Franciscan values of spiritual development, leadership, and commitment to service.